Coalition of Civil Society Organizations Pass Vote of Confidence on Oyetola Administration
BEING THE TEXT OF A PRESS CONFERENCE ADDRESSED BY THE COALITION OF CIVIL SOCIETY ORGANISATIONS, AS PART OF ITS TWO-DAY PROJECTS ASSESSMENT TOUR OF OSUN STATE, ON THURSDAY 23RD JUNE, 2022.
We welcome you to this Press conference, being addressed by the Coalition of Civil Society Organisations from Across the country, who are currently in Osun state, as part of our Nationwide Good governance Assessment tour of various government intervention projects and programmes, mainly focused at bringing the dividends of democracy and good governance closer to the nigerian people.
This ongoing project, involving several notable Civil society organisations from across the country, has given us the opportunity, not only to have first experience of the manner, in which government at various levels is addressing the need of nigerian citizens, but it has also been a platform, to collate the needs of our people, and their expectations from the government.
This project is committed to good governance, most importantly as it affects the lives of the ordinary citizens.
- Our visit across the state since yesterday, has earned us the opportunity to gather reports from various parts of Osun State, most importantly in the effort of the incumbent administration, towards the development of the Healthcare infrastructure, educational reform, infrastructural revolution, youth development among others.
- We saw and was impressed by the excitement of the people in the manner, with which government now based its projects, on the basis of the need, of the people, according to their peculiar demands.
- The road infrastructure which has witnessed the opening up of new roads, upgrade and expansion of many, has made intra-state movement of people and commercial activities, easier than it has ever been, in the history of the state.
- The radical commitment of the administration, to healthcare improvement, as witnessed in the massive resuscitation of Primary Health Care infrastructure, is commendable, as this has not only taken healthcare delivery closer to the people of Osun state, it has also rated the state, as one, with the highest number of these primary healthcare facilities, in the country today.
It is important at this point, to say, that governments mainly exist, to cater for the need of the people and as such, must at all times, prioritize their welfare. The current administration in Osun State, from our interaction with the people, particularly government workers in various categories, has given serious attention, to the welfare of civil servants and every persons working with the state government and its structures. The prompt payment of salaries, pensions and gratitute, is a clear deviation, from the recent history of the state. This has not only, brought back a cordial relationship between the state government and the workforce, it has also increased productivity.
Noticeable improvement is seen in the Gbongan-Akoda road, as well as Old Garage (Osogbo)-Ikirun-Ila-Odo-Erinle, which, together, are Federal Roads spanning a total length of 66.8 km.
- Osun has continued to maintain its position as the most peaceful state in Nigeria as a result of the improved security system of the State with the help of Osun State Security Network codenamed “Amotekun”. The group effort has continued to flush out kidnappers, cattle rustlers and robbers, which is highly commendable.
- In health, Osun has also registered her name as a pacesetter after the rehabilitation of 320 primary healthcare centres across the state- one per ward, making sure the reach of health officers are spread across.
In addition to that, the Osun Health Insurance Scheme has also become a model that have made cheap and hitch free health benefit available to the people of the state.
- It is commendable that the administration has ensured the payment of pensions and gratuities, including clearing the backlog of the arrears inherited at the State and Local Government levels in the last three year.
In conclusion, there is no gainsaying, that the administration of Governor Gboyega is giving Osun State a rewarding future, and we strongly believe, that there is the need, to consolidate on the achievements of his administration in further delivering good Governance.
It is on this note that this Coalition of Civil Society Organizations passes a vote of confidence on the performance of Governor Adegboyega Oyetola so far as the Governor of Osun state.